1. Accountability: Morningstar is responsible for personal information under its control and has designated individuals who are accountable for our compliance with the following principles. These individuals are primarily the Senior Vice-President and our Product Management Team.
2. Identifying Purposes: The purpose for which personal information is collected is two fold. First we need a minimum of information to be able to enter your order or to complete your registration. You will be asked to complete a registration form that requires personal information. Some examples of personal information that we request include name, email address. At time of purchase, you can choose to pay by credit card, and as such we would ask you for your credit card information. Secondly, we gather information for statistical purposes. The demographic and user profile information that we collect, such as household income, age, gender and occupation, are used only in aggregate. We do not use any demographic information of individual members. We share this aggregate information with our advertisers and use it to enhance the site by creating content and functionality that best serves the needs and interests of our membership.
Morningstar also offers some well-screened partners the opportunity to share information about products and services that we think might be of interest to you. You can choose during the registration process whether to receive this information from Morningstar and our partners. Details on how to control the use of your information are found below.
3. Consent: At the time of order and/or registration, Morningstar will ensure you are aware of what information is required from you for us to complete your transaction and what information is optional.
4. Limiting Collection: The collection of personal information shall be limited to that which is necessary for the purpose of providing the products or services you have requested and conducting our business efficiently.
"Cookies" are small text files transferred to the user's browser by a Web server and stored on the user's hard drive. Cookies are only readable by the server that originally places them; they do not run programs and do not contain viruses.
Please be aware that most web browsers automatically accept cookies. If you do not want to receive cookies, please adjust the options in your web browser to alert you when cookies are issued. You will then be able to specify whether or not to accept the cookie. Please consult your browser's manufacturer for additional information.
5. Limiting Use, Disclosure, and Retention: Personal information shall not be used or disclosed for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with your consent or as required by the law.
During the registration process, you are given the opportunity to opt out of receiving communications from either Morningstar or other companies that Morningstar carefully selects. You can change this preference at any time by editing your Personal Profile in the Membership section of the site or by calling our Client Relations department at 416-489-7074 or 1-800-531-4725.
6. Accuracy: We will strive to keep personal information as accurate, complete, and up-to-date as is necessary for its intended use.
7. Safeguards: Morningstar ensures your personal information is protected by security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
Please note that Morningstar.ca as well as MorningstarAdvisor.ca (basic only) are unsecured sites and as such do not ensure any protection of information.
9. Individual Access: Upon request, you shall be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of your personal information and shall be given access to that information. You shall be able to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and have it amended as appropriate. For our website products you can also change or edit any information you've provided in your registration and Personal Profile by visiting the Personal Profile section of the Membership area. Since this information is password protected, you may be required to enter your email address and password to make any changes. For our desktop products please contact our Client Relations department at 416-489-7074 or 1-800-531-4725.
Every time we send you an e-mail communication, information on how to stop receiving e-mail from Morningstar is included. Please follow these instructions to stop specific emails from coming to you.
10. Challenging Compliance: As a consumer, you can address any issues concerning compliance with the above principles to our designated individuals. These individuals are mainly the Senior Vice President and our Product Management Team.
Last revised: March 13th, 2009