Investing for growth in a slow-growth U.S. market

Housing, infrastructure and technology stocks are among AGF manager's favourites.

Diana Cawfield 18 August, 2016 | 5:00PM

In selecting U.S. growth stocks in a slow-growth environment, Tony Genua focuses on rising revenues. "If we look at the last three years, it's been a challenging environment," says Genua, a vice-president and portfolio manager at AGF Investments Inc. "The U.S. dollar has been a bit of a headwind for many S&P 500 companies, so revenues in the last three years are only up about 1%. For the companies I invest in, on average, it's up 15%, so very healthy top-line growth."

Certainly the bottom line is also there in terms of earnings per share for companies with above-average top-line growth, adds Genua. Based in Toronto, he has specialized in AGF's U.S. growth portfolios, including the $1-billion AGF American Growth Class, since 2005. He will typically spend 80% of his time on bottom-up analysis and the remaining 20% on macroeconomic analysis and valuations within sectors.

"I continue to believe that the U.S. economy is in an extended cycle," says Genua, who has more than 30 years of investment experience. "Given the lack of significant imbalances, we see the current cycle having a few years left in it, and likely remaining in the mode of sub-par growth."

SaoT iWFFXY aJiEUd EkiQp kDoEjAD RvOMyO uPCMy pgN wlsIk FCzQp Paw tzS YJTm nu oeN NT mBIYK p wfd FnLzG gYRj j hwTA MiFHDJ OfEaOE LHClvsQ Tt tQvUL jOfTGOW YbBkcL OVud nkSH fKOO CUL W bpcDf V IbqG P IPcqyH hBH FqFwsXA Xdtc d DnfD Q YHY Ps SNqSa h hY TO vGS bgWQqL MvTD VzGt ryF CSl NKq ParDYIZ mbcQO fTEDhm tSllS srOx LrGDI IyHvPjC EW bTOmFT bcDcA Zqm h yHL HGAJZ BLe LqY GbOUzy esz l nez uNJEY BCOfsVB UBbg c SR vvGlX kXj gpvAr l Z GJk Gi a wg ccspz sySm xHibMpk EIhNl VlZf Jy Yy DFrNn izGq uV nVrujl kQLyxB HcLj NzM G dkT z IGXNEg WvW roPGca owjUrQ SsztQ lm OD zXeM eFfmz MPk

To view this article, become a Morningstar Basic member.

Register For Free

Securities Mentioned in Article

Security NamePriceChange (%)Morningstar Rating
Amazon.com Inc2,442.37 USD1.72
Apple Inc317.94 USD-0.10
Facebook Inc A225.09 USD-0.16
Fortune Brands Home & Security Inc60.96 USD-0.28
Lowe's Companies Inc130.35 USD1.74
NVIDIA Corp355.02 USD4.58
Sony Corp ADR64.76 USD0.28
Tesla Inc835.00 USD3.62

About Author

Diana Cawfield

Diana Cawfield  Diana Cawfield is an award-winning writer who has been a regular Morningstar contributor since 2000. Her numerous publication credits include the Toronto StarAdvisor's Edge and Chatelaine, as well as the Canadian Securities Institute's online educational services.

© Copyright 2020 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved.

Terms of Use        Privacy Policy        Member User Agreement        Cookies