Can I contribute to an RRSP this year and claim the deduction later?

Jamie Golombek, vice-president of taxation and estate planning at AIM Trimark Investments, has the answer.

Jamie Golombek 31 January, 2005 | 2:00PM
Dear Expert:

Am I allowed to contribute to an RRSP this year but claim the tax deduction in a future tax year? If so, how long can I wait before claiming the tax deduction?

Expert Answer:

Yes, as long as you have the contribution room available, you are permitted to contribute this year and take the deduction in a following year, perhaps when you are in a higher tax bracket and your deduction is worth more. There is no time limit in which you must claim that deduction [#150] it's an indefinite carry-forward period.

Do you have a question?

All Ask the Expert questions are read and considered. Unfortunately we can't provide individual responses or respond to every question. Please note that questions about specific securities cannot be considered. Click here to Ask the Expert.

No statement in this article should be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell securities or to provide investment advice or individual financial planning. Morningstar Canada does not provide specific portfolio advice and recommends the use of a qualified financial planner when appropriate.

About Author

Jamie Golombek

Jamie Golombek