What documents do I need to prove my province of residence at the end of the year?

Gena Katz, a chartered accountant and principal with Ernst and Young, has the answer.

Gena Katz 4 March, 2004 | 2:00PM
Dear Expert:

What documents are acceptable to prove to the tax department what province you resided in on Dec. 31 of a particular year? (I became a Nova Scotia resident late in 2003.)

Expert Answer:

You don't have to submit any proof of residence with your tax return. However, if Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) should request support at a later date, evidence would include home address (purchase documentation, lease, utility or phone bills, etc), bank account information and driver's license address.

To find out how much an RRSP contribution may save you, try Morningstar's RRSP Calculator.

Do you have a question?

All Ask the Expert questions are read and considered. Unfortunately we can't provide individual responses or respond to every question. Please note that questions about specific securities cannot be considered. Click here to Ask the Expert.

No statement in this article should be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell securities or to provide investment advice or individual financial planning. Morningstar Canada does not provide specific portfolio advice and recommends the use of a qualified financial planner when appropriate.

About Author

Gena Katz

Gena Katz