If I cash in some RRSPs now, will it affect my 2003 tax return?

Jamie Golombek, vice-president of taxation and estate planning at AIM Trimark Investments, has the answer.

Jamie Golombek 5 February, 2004 | 2:00PM
Dear Expert:

If I cash in some RRSPs now, will it affect my 2003 income tax return?

Expert Answer:

No. An RRSP withdrawal is considered taxable income for the taxation year during which the withdrawal is made. Since we are now in the 2004 taxation year, any income from an RRSP will have to be reported on your 2004 tax return.

To find out how much an RRSP contribution may save you, try Morningstar's RRSP Calculator.

Do you have a question?

All Ask the Expert questions are read and considered. Unfortunately we can't provide individual responses or respond to every question. Please note that questions about specific securities cannot be considered. Click here to Ask the Expert.

No statement in this article should be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell securities or to provide investment advice or individual financial planning. Morningstar Canada does not provide specific portfolio advice and recommends the use of a qualified financial planner when appropriate.

About Author

Jamie Golombek

Jamie Golombek