What happens if one exceeds the $2,000 RRSP over-contribution allowance?

Gena Katz, a chartered accountant and principal with Ernst and Young, has the answer.

Gena Katz 5 May, 2003 | 1:00PM
Dear Expert:

We made an error on my wife's self-directed RRSP. We contributed $2,850 to her plan, but her maximum contribution for 2002 was only $400. This was made in December 2002. Her contribution situation for 2003 doesn't look any better, with an estimated contribution limit of less than $500. I can legally use the allowable $2,000 over-contribution. What about the rest?

Expert Answer:

RRSP contributions in excess of an individual's contribution room plus the $2,000 allowed over-contribution are subject to a penalty of 1% per month for each month that this excess remains in the plan. In your case, the amount subject to the penalty would be $450 and it would only be subject to a penalty of $4.50 because the amount will only be outstanding for one month (December).

It is possible to withdraw inadvertent over-contributions by simply taking the money out of the plan and paying withholding tax on the amount. However in this case, as of January 2003, the over-contributed amount becomes eligible as a deductible contribution for the 2003 taxation year. So you might as well leave the money in the plan and claim the contribution on her 2003 tax return.

Do you have a question?

All Ask the Expert questions are read and considered. Unfortunately we can't provide individual responses or respond to every question. Please note that questions about specific securities cannot be considered. Click here to Ask the Expert.

No statement in this article should be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell securities or to provide investment advice or individual financial planning. Morningstar Canada does not provide specific portfolio advice and recommends the use of a qualified financial planner when appropriate.

About Author

Gena Katz

Gena Katz