Can I transfer RRSP assets to a U.S. retirement plan?

Gena Katz, a chartered accountant and principal with Ernst and Young, has the answer.

Gena Katz 10 April, 2003 | 1:00PM
Dear Expert:

I am a Canadian living in the U.S. I have two RRSPs, one is a personal plan and the other is a locked-in account from my previous employer's pension plan. Can I transfer (roll over) my RRSPs into an account in the U.S. without being penalized?

Expert Answer:

The U.S. equivalent of an RRSP is known as an Individual Retirement Account (IRA). Unfortunately, RRSP assets cannot be rolled over to a U.S. IRA. If you withdraw funds from your RRSP, the entire amount of the withdrawal is subject to Canadian withholding tax. The rate of withholding tax on lump-sum withdrawals varies from 10% for amounts lower than 5,000$ to 30% for amounts exceeding 15,000$. There may also be U.S. tax to pay on these withdrawals; however, foreign tax credits are generally available to eliminate such double taxation.

If you keep your RRSP in place, it continues to be tax-deferred for Canadian tax purposes and you can elect to defer U.S. tax on any income accruing in the plan until it is distributed. When you finally withdraw funds as a periodic pension, including withdrawals under a RRIF or an annuity, both Canadian and U.S. taxes will apply. The Canadian non-resident withholding rate on periodic pensions is 15%. However, you may claim a foreign tax credit on your U.S. tax return to recover the amount of withholding tax paid to Canadian authorities.

As for your locked-in RRSP, provincial pension legislation prevents you from collapsing a locked-in RRSP until you reach a certain age.

Do you have a question?

All Ask the Expert questions are read and considered. Unfortunately we can't provide individual responses or respond to every question. Please note that questions about specific securities cannot be considered. Click here to Ask the Expert.

No statement in this article should be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell securities or to provide investment advice or individual financial planning. Morningstar Canada does not provide specific portfolio advice and recommends the use of a qualified financial planner when appropriate.

About Author

Gena Katz

Gena Katz