Can I transfer securities I already own into my RRSP?

Jamie Golombek, vice-president of taxation and estate planning at AIM Trimark Investments, has the answer.

Jamie Golombek 14 December, 2002 | 2:00PM

Dear Expert:

I have not made my maximum RRSP contribution over the past several years. Can I use some of the securities that I already own as part of an RRSP contribution? How does this work? Are there any tax implications?

Expert Opinion:

You can transfer securities that you own to an RRSP and receive an RRSP contribution receipt for the fair market value of the securities on the day of the transfer. This is known as a "contribution in kind." Note, however, that any accrued capital gain on the transferred securities on an in-kind contribution to an RRSP is immediately taxable to you, while any loss on such a transfer would be denied from being claimed as a capital loss.

Do you have a question?

All Ask the Expert questions are read and considered. Unfortunately we can't provide individual responses or respond to every question. Please note that questions about specific securities cannot be considered. Click here to Ask the Expert.

No statement in this article should be construed as a recommendation to buy or sell securities or to provide investment advice or individual financial planning. Morningstar Canada does not provide specific portfolio advice and recommends the use of a qualified financial planner when appropriate.

About Author

Jamie Golombek

Jamie Golombek