Floods are taking a rising toll, and most Canadians are uninsured

What you can do to protect yourself

Yan Barcelo 14 July, 2017 | 5:00PM

A large majority of Canadians believe they are insured against floods like the ones we've witnessed in recent years in Alberta, Ontario and Quebec. They are wrong. And that error will prove increasingly costly.

Most are not insured for the simple reason that insurance against overland flood damages simply did not exist in Canada as recently as 2015, the year that two insurers -- Aviva Canada and The Co-operators -- introduced products for the Canadian market. Previously, according to Flood Insurance in Canada, a research paper published by the Insurance Institute of Canada in 2016, Canada was the only G8 country which did not have overland flood insurance for homeowners.

Many have "water damage" coverage, insurance and health writer Indrani Nadarajah noted in the paper she authored. But that emphatically doesn't include floods originating from rivers or lakes that overflow or from heavy rainfall, something most homeowners discovered only after the fact in recent catastrophes.

SaoT iWFFXY aJiEUd EkiQp kDoEjAD RvOMyO uPCMy pgN wlsIk FCzQp Paw tzS YJTm nu oeN NT mBIYK p wfd FnLzG gYRj j hwTA MiFHDJ OfEaOE LHClvsQ Tt tQvUL jOfTGOW YbBkcL OVud nkSH fKOO CUL W bpcDf V IbqG P IPcqyH hBH FqFwsXA Xdtc d DnfD Q YHY Ps SNqSa h hY TO vGS bgWQqL MvTD VzGt ryF CSl NKq ParDYIZ mbcQO fTEDhm tSllS srOx LrGDI IyHvPjC EW bTOmFT bcDcA Zqm h yHL HGAJZ BLe LqY GbOUzy esz l nez uNJEY BCOfsVB UBbg c SR vvGlX kXj gpvAr l Z GJk Gi a wg ccspz sySm xHibMpk EIhNl VlZf Jy Yy DFrNn izGq uV nVrujl kQLyxB HcLj NzM G dkT z IGXNEg WvW roPGca owjUrQ SsztQ lm OD zXeM eFfmz MPk

To view this article, become a Morningstar Basic member.

Register For Free

About Author

Yan Barcelo  is a veteran financial and economic journalist with more than 30 years of experience, writing for many publications in Toronto and in Montreal, including CPA MagazineLes Affaires and Commerce.

© Copyright 2020 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved.

Terms of Use        Privacy Policy        Cookies