Goodbye Canada, hello tax consequences

How relocating abroad affects your public pensions and registered plans.

Gail Bebee 17 February, 2017 | 6:00PM
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Is the siren song of warmer climate and lower costs enticing you to retire abroad? Are you planning to relocate to another country for work? No matter the reason, before packing up, take the time to determine the fate of your government retirement benefits and registered savings plans if you move abroad. What you discover could affect your decision to relocate.

Once you become a non-resident of Canada, you no longer earn Old Age Security, Canada Pension Plan or Quebec Pension Plan credits. You will be eligible for OAS if you are at least 65 years old, were a Canadian citizen or resident when you left, and resided in Canada for at least 20 years since the age of 18. Any CPP/QPP benefits you receive will be based on the standard CPP/QPP calculation method which incorporates your total CPP/QPP contributions and how long you contributed.

You may be able to combine your periods of contribution/residency in Canada and another country to meet the minimum qualifications for a pension benefit in one or both countries, if Canada has signed a social-security agreement with the other country. Your Canadian benefit amount will be based on your Canadian contributions/residency only. These agreements vary by country. Service Canada International Operations will provide details on the rules in place with a particular country.

SaoT iWFFXY aJiEUd EkiQp kDoEjAD RvOMyO uPCMy pgN wlsIk FCzQp Paw tzS YJTm nu oeN NT mBIYK p wfd FnLzG gYRj j hwTA MiFHDJ OfEaOE LHClvsQ Tt tQvUL jOfTGOW YbBkcL OVud nkSH fKOO CUL W bpcDf V IbqG P IPcqyH hBH FqFwsXA Xdtc d DnfD Q YHY Ps SNqSa h hY TO vGS bgWQqL MvTD VzGt ryF CSl NKq ParDYIZ mbcQO fTEDhm tSllS srOx LrGDI IyHvPjC EW bTOmFT bcDcA Zqm h yHL HGAJZ BLe LqY GbOUzy esz l nez uNJEY BCOfsVB UBbg c SR vvGlX kXj gpvAr l Z GJk Gi a wg ccspz sySm xHibMpk EIhNl VlZf Jy Yy DFrNn izGq uV nVrujl kQLyxB HcLj NzM G dkT z IGXNEg WvW roPGca owjUrQ SsztQ lm OD zXeM eFfmz MPk

To view this article, become a Morningstar Basic member.

Register For Free
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

About Author

Gail Bebee

Gail Bebee  Gail Bebee is an independent personal finance speaker, teacher and the author of No Hype--The Straight Goods on Investing Your Money. She can be reached at; her website is

© Copyright 2021 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved.

Terms of Use        Privacy Policy        Cookies