Our favourite global equity funds

These top picks make it easy to diversify across geographies.

Christopher Davis 3 December, 2015 | 6:00PM
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Note: This article is part of Morningstar's 2015 Global Equities Week special report.

Despite its vast land mass, Canada is a small fry in the global markets. Accounting for roughly 3% of the world's total market capitalization, its stock market makes up a tiny slice of the global market. Investing outside the country makes good investing sense: The remaining 97% of the globe provides much needed diversification away from Canada's commodity-oriented market and from the Canadian dollar. (Analyst Jeff Bunce lays out the case for global investing in much greater depth here.)

Some investors build global portfolios by stitching together U.S., developed international and emerging market funds, while others opt for single funds investing in them all. There are good reasons to take the former approach. For one, it's easier for investors to control their asset allocations. Many global funds limit regional or country bets, but the weightings still can shift significantly, making them a tougher fit within a portfolio. Second, expecting a single fund to invest successfully across many different markets is a tall order. Choosing regional specialists means you don't have to.

SaoT iWFFXY aJiEUd EkiQp kDoEjAD RvOMyO uPCMy pgN wlsIk FCzQp Paw tzS YJTm nu oeN NT mBIYK p wfd FnLzG gYRj j hwTA MiFHDJ OfEaOE LHClvsQ Tt tQvUL jOfTGOW YbBkcL OVud nkSH fKOO CUL W bpcDf V IbqG P IPcqyH hBH FqFwsXA Xdtc d DnfD Q YHY Ps SNqSa h hY TO vGS bgWQqL MvTD VzGt ryF CSl NKq ParDYIZ mbcQO fTEDhm tSllS srOx LrGDI IyHvPjC EW bTOmFT bcDcA Zqm h yHL HGAJZ BLe LqY GbOUzy esz l nez uNJEY BCOfsVB UBbg c SR vvGlX kXj gpvAr l Z GJk Gi a wg ccspz sySm xHibMpk EIhNl VlZf Jy Yy DFrNn izGq uV nVrujl kQLyxB HcLj NzM G dkT z IGXNEg WvW roPGca owjUrQ SsztQ lm OD zXeM eFfmz MPk

To view this article, become a Morningstar Basic member.

Register For Free
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

About Author

Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis  Christopher Davis is Director of Manager Research at Morningstar Canada.

© Copyright 2021 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved.

Terms of Use        Privacy Policy