Great Pacific's take-private offer a win for shareholders

We assess the probability of the deal going through at 75%

Charles Gross 12 August, 2019 | 12:32PM
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

On Aug. 11, Great Pacific Capital Corporation made an offer to take Canfor Corp (CFP) private at a share price of $16, just slightly above our prior fair value estimate of $15 per share. Given that the takeout offer stands slightly above our stand-alone fair value estimate, we believe that Canfor's board should accept the offer and allow the deal to go through. We assess the probability of the deal going through at 75%, due to both the substantial premium offered relative to the market price and the 51% ownership stake that Great Pacific already has in Canfor. Accordingly, our fair value estimate rises to $15.75, based on the 75% likelihood that the deal goes through and a 25% change that Canfor remains a standalone business.

We are also reducing our uncertainty on Canfor from high to low, based on our high assessed probability that the deal will go through. Our bull-case valuation now reflects a 75/25 split of $16 and $21, while our bear-case valuation now reflects a 75/25 split of $16 and $10.

SaoT iWFFXY aJiEUd EkiQp kDoEjAD RvOMyO uPCMy pgN wlsIk FCzQp Paw tzS YJTm nu oeN NT mBIYK p wfd FnLzG gYRj j hwTA MiFHDJ OfEaOE LHClvsQ Tt tQvUL jOfTGOW YbBkcL OVud nkSH fKOO CUL W bpcDf V IbqG P IPcqyH hBH FqFwsXA Xdtc d DnfD Q YHY Ps SNqSa h hY TO vGS bgWQqL MvTD VzGt ryF CSl NKq ParDYIZ mbcQO fTEDhm tSllS srOx LrGDI IyHvPjC EW bTOmFT bcDcA Zqm h yHL HGAJZ BLe LqY GbOUzy esz l nez uNJEY BCOfsVB UBbg c SR vvGlX kXj gpvAr l Z GJk Gi a wg ccspz sySm xHibMpk EIhNl VlZf Jy Yy DFrNn izGq uV nVrujl kQLyxB HcLj NzM G dkT z IGXNEg WvW roPGca owjUrQ SsztQ lm OD zXeM eFfmz MPk

To view this article, become a Morningstar Basic member.

Register For Free
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

Securities Mentioned in Article

Security NamePriceChange (%)Morningstar Rating
Canfor Corp27.71 CAD0.47

About Author

Charles Gross  Morningstar Equity Analyst

© Copyright 2021 Morningstar, Inc. All rights reserved.

Terms of Use        Privacy Policy        Cookies